The best way to view and verify your new favorite is to sketch
one on the map. It is recommended to do this in a test or dev environment,
or perform the edits in a version/session that can be discarded. You
do not have to save the edits to test the favorite.
- If necessary, prepare your workspace to sketch the new
fiber optic cable favorite.
- In ArcMap, apply a Stored Display that includes your
- Create a Session/Version or Start Editing if in a dev
or test environment.
- In the Table of Contents, click the Features pane.
- Navigate to the folder that contains the cable favorite.
- Open the ArcFM Attribute Editor and position it in the
interface as you wish.
- In the Table of Contents > Features pane, click the cable
favorite once. This sends the favorite to the Targets tab on the ArcFM
- A fiber optic cable doesn’t do a lot unless it is
connected to some facilities, so also add a Patch Location and perhaps
a Splice Case to the Targets tab.
- In the Targets tab, add a few attributes as you normally
would with any fiber installation.
- Sketch out a small fiber system that involves the cable,
Patch Locations, and Splices, for example:
- On the Fiber Manager toolbar, click the Connection Manager tool, then
click one of the Patch Locations.
- Using Connection Manager, connect a few fibers from the
cable to the back side of a Patch Panel
- Click OK.
- Using Connection Manager, make more connections in the
other Patch Location, and if desired, change the fiber splicing inside
the Splice Case.
- To further test, you can run a Splice Report:
- On the Fiber Manager toolbar, click the Splice Report tool, then click
- Scan the report to see the incoming and outgoing connections.
- Close the report.
- To further test, perform a Fiber Trace involving the cable:
- On the Fiber Manager toolbar, click the Fiber Trace tool.
- Start the trace on the cable, specifically on a fiber
color you connected to the Patch Location.
- Notice all connected cables are selected on the map,
and scan the report to see the trace connections.
- Close the report.
- After testing the new cable, you can Stop Editing without
saving the edits.