Configuring a Modbus gateway using ION Setup
Before you begin, make sure you have completed the following tasks:
Confirm the serial network of devices are wired and configured to have the same baud rate, serial port settings (for example, 8N1), and protocol (Modbus).
Confirm each serial device has a unique unit identifier.
Confirm the serial network of devices are connected to the gateway meter’s serial communication port.
Confirm your gateway meter is communicating over Ethernet.
Confirm that the Modbus RTU and Modbus TCP/IP Ethernet protocols are enabled on your gateway meter.
- Start ION Setup.
- Open the Setup Assistant for your meter.
- Navigate to and select the tab for the communications port that the serial network is connected to.
- Select Protocol and click Edit.The protocol selection screen appears.
- Set the protocol to Modbus Master.
- Navigate to Communications > Basic Ethernet and select the TCP/IP tab.
- Select Modbus Gateway and click Edit.The Modbus gateway selection screen is displayed.
- Select the communications port that the serial network is connected to (and you just set to use the Modbus master protocol) and click OK. The Modbus gateway connection is created.
- Create an Ethernet gateway site to access the serial network of devices through your gateway meter.