Configuring the meter as an Ethernet gateway using ION Setup
The only configuration required for the meter to function as a gateway is to set the serial port’s mode. You can configure other settings, depending on your requirements and network.
- Start ION Setup and connect to your meter.
- Open the Advanced Serial Settings screen in the RS-485 Comm Setup folder.
- Set Mode to Master Mode to enable the gateway feature or to Slave Mode to disable it.
- Set Modbus Broadcast to Enabled if you want broadcast messages to be forwarded to the connected slave devices.
- Configure the other advanced parameters required by your system.
- Click Send to save your changes to the meter.
- Use the meter webpages if you want to adjust the maximum
number of Modbus TCP connections allowed.
Modbus Ethernet gateway settings available using ION Setup
Parameter Value Description Response Timeout 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Set the time the gateway meter waits for an answer from a downstream serial device before generating an exception response. Delay Between Frames 0, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100
The minimum time in milliseconds between the end of a received response and the beginning of a new request.
Set this parameter to help improve communications between the gateway and downstream slave devices with slower response times.
Silent Interval Extension 0 – 15 Set this parameter to extend the silent interval (used to mark the end of a Modbus packet) beyond the default 3.5 characters defined in the Modbus standard. After the defined character time elapses without a new character, the gateway meter treats the next character as the start of a new message.NOTE: These are advanced settings that you can adjust if you have communication errors when communicating through the gateway to the downstream serial devices. They only apply if the meter is functioning as a gateway, and you should only change these settings if you have an advanced knowledge of Modbus communications and your communications network.