Configuring your meter as a Modbus master using ION Setup
Make sure your master and slave devices have the prerequisite communications wiring and configuration before configuring your meter as a Modbus master.
If the meter is a Modbus master over TCP/IP, the Modbus TCP/IP and Modbus RTU protocols must be enabled.
The meter as a Modbus master over TCP/IP attempts to communicate with a slave device for up to 100 seconds (as per the RFC 1122 standard) before moving on to the next slave device.
- Start ION Setup.
- Open the Setup Assistant for your meter.
- Navigate to Modbus Master tab. and click on the
- Click Add to add a Modbus slave
device.The Modbus Device dialog appears.
- Enter the Modbus slave information:
- Enter the Modbus slave device’s name and a label suffix (if applicable).
- Select the device type of the slave device from the Device Type drop-down list box.
- Enter the unit ID of the Modbus slave device into the Slave ID text box.
- Select the serial or TCP connection from the Connected via drop-down list box. This is the connection from the Modbus master to the slave device.
- Click Connections. The Modbus Master Connections dialog appears.
- Select the tab that corresponds to the connection you are
configuring (for example, if you selected TCP Connection 1 from the Connected via drop-down list box, select the TCP 1 tab)
and configure it based on the connection type.
Connection type Configuration
Select the serial communications port that is connected to the Modbus slave devices from the Assigned Port list.
Enter the IP address of the Modbus slave device, making sure that the IP port is set to 502.
Make sure that the Modbus RTU and Modbus TCP/IP protocols are enabled.
- Click OK to return to the Modbus Device dialog.
- Click OK to add the slave device.
The device now appears on the list. Repeat these steps to add all
of your Modbus slave devices.**See “Modbus” on page 57 for Modbus master and slave prerequisites for communications wiring and configuration.