Build Water Geometric Network
If your data set does not already have a geometric network, you will need to create one. The steps on this page walk through how the geometric network MAY be created. This is not necessarily the best way to create the network for your geodatabase. You may wish to select different options than those selected here. The Build Geometric Network tool is an Esri tool. Refer to the Esri online help for more detailed information about this functionality.
The most important points to keep in mind while building the geometric network are: be sure to include all feature classes that you listed; be sure to specify an appropriate snapping tolerance.
Network weights are what make tracing tasks work. Weights are assigned during the process of building the geometric network. (For more information, see ArcGIS Help, Creating a New Geometric Network.) These steps assume that you have created features that you want to participate in tracing tasks with a field that will be assigned model name WATERTRACEWEIGHT to which is assigned the WaterTraceWeight (exact spelling and capitalization) weight. Check for build errors after the wizard is finished.
- Start the Build Geometric Network Wizard by right-clicking a dataset and selecting New | Geometric Network.
- On the first dialog box, click Next to start the wizard.
- Enter the name you want for the geometric network. Also, select whether you want snapping and the tolerance. Click Next to continue.
- Select the feature classes you wish to include in your
geometric network. A list of the classes required by Water Tracing
is displayed in the table below. You may wish to include additional
classes in your network. Select the feature classes and click Next
- If prompted, select whether you wish to preserve existing enabled values. This example selects Yes. Click Next to continue.
- The next dialog box shows the role assigned to each feature class and lets you select whether a feature class is a source or sink.
- The roles you see in this dialog box should be the same
as in the table in step 4. For example the feature class wLateralService
should have a role of Complex Edge.
- If a feature acts as a source or sink in the network, select yes in the Sources & Sinks column (wSamplingStation in the ArcFM sample data). Click Next to continue.
- In the Add weights to your network dialog box, click New. The Add New Weight dialog box opens.
- In the Name field of the Add New Weight dialog box, type WaterTraceWeight with this exact spelling and capitalization. For type, select integer. Click OK. The Add New Weight dialog box closes.
- When you return to the Add weights to your network dialog
box, assign this weight to the water trace weight field (assigned
the field model name WATERTRACEWEIGHT) of every and all features
participating in trace tasks.
- If necessary, specify a configuration keyword.
- The final dialog box provides a summary. Click Finish to build the geometric network.
When the wizard has finished building your network, search your database for a table whose name contains _BUILDERR. If no such table exists then there are no problems with your new network and it need not be rebuilt. If the build errors table does exist, consult the ArcGIS online documentation to learn the significance of its contents and take any necessary measures to eliminate the problems it indicates. After eliminating the causes of any network build errors, you must drop the network (and the build errors table) and build again until you get no build errors.