Mass Attribute Update
The Mass Attribute Update tool allows users to update attribute fields for features that have the same subtype. For example, a user may modify the height and material attributes for a group of non-wood poles to make them 45-foot, steel poles. Before a user may use the Mass Attribute Update tool, it must first be enabled.
To update the attributes for a group of features or objects, you must have an editing session started and the features must have the same subtype. If your map has multiple data frames, the changes will affect only the selected (or activated) data frame.
- Select a layer or group of features on the Selection tab or Design tab of the Attribute Editor. To update objects, expand the features to show the object tables. Hold down the Ctrl key and click the objects to select.
- Right-click and select Mass Attribute Update.
- In the Mass Attribute Update window that appears, you may update editable attributes.
- Click Update. A status bar in the Mass Attribute Update window indicates the status of the update.
- If you click Cancel or press the Esc key during the update,
the changes made will be rolled back. None of the features will be
updated. The Mass Attribute Update window will close when the update
is complete.TIP: Undo: You may reverse mass attribute updates if the edit session has not been saved. Use the Undo button or select Edit > Undo ArcFM Mass Attribute Update. You may undo mass attribute updates as long as the edit session has not been saved. Once the edit session is saved, the changes cannot be undone.
Enable Mass Update Tools
The Mass Attribute Update and Mass Create Related Objects tools are not displayed by default. Toggle buttons allow you to add/remove these tools from the right-click menu in the Attribute Viewer. Follow the steps below to add the toggle buttons to either a menu or a toolbar.
- Select Customize Mode from the Customize dropdown menu.
- Click the Commands tab.
- Select ArcFM Solution from the Categories window.
- In the Commands window, select ArcFM Mass Attribute Update, ArcFM Mass Create Related Objects, or both.
- Drag one or both commands to a menu or onto a toolbar.
- The commands will appear unchecked in a menu or toggled
off if on a toolbar. Select the menu item or toggle the button on
to enable the functionality. This includes the tools in the right-click
menu when you select multiple features in the same feature class.
The ArcFM Mass Create Related Objects tool is checked to show it is enabled.
This same tool is toggled ON after being added to a toolbar.
Mass Attribute Update, Mass Create Related Objects, or both will now appear in the right-click menu when you have selected a group of features. If you want to use the Mass Attribute Update tool, the selected features must all have the same subtype. These tools will be available in the following situations:
When you select a group of features using the Ctrl key on the Selection tab, the QA/QC tab, Design tab, or in the Locator tool. These features must have the same subtype to enable Mass Attribute Update.
When you click the layer for a group of features on the Selection tab, the QA/QC tab, Design tab, or in the Locator tool. These features must have the same subtype to enable Mass Attribute Update.