Assign Model Names
Model names and field model names are essential to configuring ArcFM tools for use in ArcMap. You may assign model names to feature and object classes and to attribute fields.
Class Model Names
You can assign model names using the ArcFM Properties Manager. Model names identify features and fields independently of database names. For example, a program dealing with electric protective devices can use the model name PROTECTIVE rather than hard-coding the feature class names such as circuit breaker, recloser, sectionalizer, etc. If a feature class is named 'breaker' rather than 'circuit breaker' in an implementation, the use of the PROTECTIVE model name overrides the feature class naming discrepancies and performs as intended. A complete list of ArcFM model names is provided in the Appendix.
- In ArcCatalog, right-click feature class in the Catalog Tree and select ArcFM Properties Manager, or click the Properties Manager button on the ArcFM Solution toolbar.
- Click the Model Names tab.
- Select a model name in the Available list. You may need to add the model name to the model name domain.
- Click the right-facing arrow to add the selected model name to the Selected list.
- Click OK to save and dismiss the ArcFM Properties Manager or Apply to save and retain the dialog.
Field Model Names
Field model names and dependent autoupdaters support ArcFM's advanced functions such as network tracing, Feeder Manager, Conduit Manager, and Abandon. Used with autoupdaters, field model names update or change indicators when adding or deleting a feature. Field model names are also used to transfer values from one feature to the corresponding field of another object class. A list of field model names and their function is provided in the Appendix.
- In ArcCatalog, right-click a feature in the Catalog Tree and select ArcFM Properties Manager, or click the Properties Manager button.
- Click the Field Model Names tab.
- Select the field to which you want the field model name applied.
- Select the appropriate model name domain at the Model Name Domain window.
- Select the field model name in the Model names available window.
- Click the right-facing arrow to add the field model name to the Selected list.
- Click OK to save and dismiss the ArcFM Properties Manager, or Apply to save and dismiss the dialog.