Geodatabase Replication - Before You Begin
Before configuring Geodatabase Replication, there are several things to consider. Be sure to review the appropriate Geodatabase Replication ReadMe file for complete system requirements.
- Identify the servers on which the GDB Replication Server and Web Service Geodatabase Replication components are to be installed. Those two components can be installed on the same server or on separate servers.
- Determine the Base Path on the server and create a directory (ServerBase, in the example). The Base Path is where the geodatabases retrieved from the SDE sync version are stored. The Web Service uses these geodatabases to create a delta file (see Overview). The Base Path and Geodatabase Replication Server may reside on the same or different servers.
- Determine the Client Base Path. All client machines will have a Client Base Path. This directory is discussed in the Configure Client topic.
- Ask your Windows Domain Administrator to create a domain
user, which is ONLY necessary if your web service resides on a
machine other than the replication server. This domain user executes
the Geodatabase Replication Server service. This user must have GDBR directory permissions on the server base path to delete files created by the user who
previously ran replication. This user must also have ArcFMGDBReplicationService directory permissions assigned on the web service. You can name this domain user according
to your standard naming convention. TIP: Occasionally this help file may refer to the term "Bootstrap." Bootstrap is a specific situation in which you get a full download. A bootstrap differs slightly depending on whether you're updating the client or the server.
- Client: A bootstrap may be necessary when no replica version exists on the client. Geodatabase Replication gets a full download (aka bootstrap) using the latest version available on the Server for the selected replica.
- Server: When bootstrapping on the Server, Geodatabase Replication uses the Initial Extract version to get all changes made to the geodatabase since the Initial Extract version was created.