Using an Ethernet gateway to set up RS-485
- Disconnect all serial devices presently connected to the Ethernet gateway’s RS-485 port.
- Configure the Ethernet gateway’s serial port settings
to match the meter’s default serial communications settings:
- Baud rate = 19200
- Parity = Even
- Connect the meter’s RS-485 port to the Ethernet gateway.
- Connect the Ethernet gateway to the LAN.
- Start ION Setup in Network mode.
- Add an Ethernet gateway site and set its properties:
- IP address = IP address of the Ethernet gateway
- Port = 502 (for Modbus RTU)
- Add a meter to the site and set its properties:
- Type = PowerLogic™ PM5xxx power meter
- Unit ID = 1
- Use the RS-485 Base Comm setup screen to modify the meter’s serial communications settings.
- Click Send to save your changes
to the meter. NOTE: If you set the protocol to ASCII 7, ASCII 8 or Jbus, you cannot use ION Setup to reconnect to the meter – ION Setup does not communicate using these protocols.
Parameter Values Description Protocol Modbus RTU, Jbus, ASCII 8, ASCII 7 Select the communications format used to transmit data. The protocol must be the same for all devices in a communications loop.NOTE: ION Setup does not support ASCII 8, ASCII 7 or Jbus protocols. Address 1 to 247
Set the address for this device. The address must be unique for each device in a communications loop.
This value is used in both Modbus TCP/IP and serial communications.
Baud Rate 9600, 19200, 38400 Select the speed for data transmission. The baud rate must be the same for all devices in a communications loop. Parity Even, Odd, None Select None if the parity bit is not used. The parity setting must be the same for all devices in a communications loop.