Using a serial communications converter to set up RS-485
- Configure the serial communications converter’s settings to be compatible with the meter’s default communications settings.
- Connect the meter’s RS-485 port to the serial communications converter.
- Connect the communications converter to the computer.
- Start ION Setup in Network mode.
- Add a serial site and set its properties:
Comm link = Serial
Comm port = select which serial (or USB) port the communications converter is attached to
Baud rate = 19200
Format = select a format with even parity
- Add a meter to the site and set its properties:
Type = PowerLogic™ PM5xxx power meter
Unit ID = 1
- Use the setup screens to modify the meter’s setup parameters.
- Use the RS-485 Base Comm setup screen to modify the meter’s serial communication settings.
- Click Send to save your changes
to the meter. You need to reconfigure ION Setup to match the changed settings in order to re-establish communications
with your meter.NOTE: If you set the protocol to ASCII 7, ASCII 8 or Jbus, you cannot use ION Setup to reconnect to the meter – ION Setup does not communicate using these protocols.
- Exit ION Setup.
RS-485 port settings
|Protocol||Modbus RTU, Jbus, ASCII 8, ASCII 7||
Select the communications format used to transmit data. The protocol must be the same for all devices in a communications loop.
ION Setup does not support ASCII 8, ASCII 7 or Jbus protocols.
|Address||1 to 247||
Set the address for this device. The address must be unique for each device in a communications loop. For Jbus protocol, set the device ID to 255.
This value is used in both Modbus TCP/IP and serial communications.
|Baud rate||9600, 10200, 38400||Select the speed for data transmission. The baud rate must be the same for all devices in a communications loop.|
|Parity||Even, Odd, None||Select None if the parity bit is not used. The parity setting must be the same for all devices in a communications loop.|